A stunning salad from southeast Turkey where all the ingredients grow in abundance. I love the balance of sweet, salty and chile-hot, and the ruby-red pomegranate seeds look gorgeous against the muted khakis and greens of the other ingredients.
- ¾ cup walnuts
- ½ cup pitted green olives, washed and coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup unsalted shelled pistachios, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- 2 small shallots, peeled and finely diced
- 1 red serrano chile, seeded and finely diced
- 1 tablespoon shredded flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon walnut oil
- Splash of pomegranate molasses
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Scatter the walnuts onto a jelly roll pan and roast for 5-10 minutes until a deep golden brown. Pour the nuts into a tea towel and rub well to remove as much skin as possible. Chop the walnuts coarsely and toss in a sieve to remove any remaining skin and dust.
Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl and toss gently. Leave to stand for 5 minutes or 50 before serving, to allow the flavors to meld.