- Course: Cold Appetizer, Tapas/Small Plates
- Total Time: Under 1 Hour
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 13 Times
- 4 small heads romaine lettuce, or 2 hearts of romaine
- 1 dozen white shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 green (underripe) mango
- 1 firm, ripe avocado
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1 shallot, diced fine
- 2 tablespoons Champagne vinegar
- ½ teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 jalapeño chili, seeded and diced fine
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
Slice the heads of romaine in half lengthwise, remove the root end, and separate the leaves. Wash and dry them carefully.
Cut the shrimp in half lengthwise and season with salt and pepper. In a small skillet, sauté the shrimp in the olive oil over medium-low heat. As soon as they turn opaque, remove them from the pan and set aside to add to the finished salad.
Peel the mango with a vegetable peeler and cut the broad sides into 1/8-inch-thick slices. (The narrow sides tend to be fibrous and difficult to slice.) Cut these slices into ¼-inch-wide strips and set aside.
Cut the avocado in half lengthwise and remove the pit. Cut into ¼- inch-thick slices, leaving the skin intact. Sprinkle lightly with lime juice.
Put the shallot in a large bowl with the vinegar, remaining lime juice, ginger, and jalapeño. Season with salt and macerate for 15 minutes. Whisk in the extra-virgin olive oil and lime zest. Add the shrimp and mango strips and scoop the avocado slices out of their skin into the bowl. Toss gently and serve sprinkled with chopped cilantro.
© 2002 Alice Waters
Note from Cookstr's Editors
Nutritional information is based on 6 servings, and includes 1/8 teaspoon of added salt per serving.