- Course: Main Course, Snack
- Total Time: Under 15 Minutes
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 23 Times
The freshness of cucumber, tomato and red onion combines with the salty flavor of kalamata olives in this traditional Greek recipe.
- 2 7-inch (18 cm) pita breads
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
- 1/4 cup (50 ml) hummus
- 4 to 6 thin slices red onion
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) diced seeded cucumber
- 1/4 cup (50 ml) sliced roasted red bell peppers
- 1/4 cup (50 ml) drained pitted kalamata olives, halved
- 1/4 cup (50 ml) diced seeded tomato
- 1/4 cup (50 ml) crumbled feta cheese
- Pinch freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch dried oregano
Preheat panini grill to high.
1. Brush one side of each pita with oil. Place on a work surface, oiled side down, and spread hummus over half of each pita, dividing evenly and leaving a ½-inch (1 cm) border around the edges. Evenly layer onion to taste, cucumber, roasted peppers, olives, tomato and feta on top of hummus. Sprinkle with pepper and oregano. Fold pitas over filling, pressing gently to pack.
2. Place sandwiches in grill, close the top plate and cook until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Serve immediately.
Kalamata olives are packed in vinegar and cured, producing a rich, sour flavor. They’re great served as an appetizer or as a complement to salads and other dishes.
© 2008 Tiffany Collins