This is a delicious accompaniment to barbecued lamb or lemon-marinated chicken, or as a light luncheon entree with some crusty bread.
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup white rice (see note)
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Pinch salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and diced (about 2 cups)
- ½ pound feta cheese, crumbled
- ¾ cup sliced pitted black olives, preferably imported
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
• 1. Bring the water to a boil in a 2-quart saucepan over high heat. Add the rice, stir, cover, reduce the heat, and cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
• 2. To prepare the marinade, in a medium bowl whisk together the oil, lemon juice, oregano, mustard, salt, and pepper. Mix in the tomatoes, feta, olives, and parsley and allow to marinate while the rice is cooking.
• 3. Place the hot rice in a large serving bowl. Drain the marinade over the hot rice, toss, and let cool slightly. Add the tomato-feta mixture and toss. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve lukewarm or refrigerate until 30 minutes before serving.
Nutritional information is based on 6 servings.