- Course: Dessert
- Total Time: Under 4 Hours
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 13 Times
This spiced custard sauce is great for dipping fruits, cookies, or even cubes of cake.
- 3¾ cups heavy cream
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 8 oz (225g) fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- 4 star anise
- 6 large egg yolks, beaten
- Five spice powder, for sifting (optional)
1. Bring the cream and sugar to a simmer over medium heat. Remove from the heat and stir in the ginger and star anise. Cover and let stand for 1 hour. Reheat the milk until piping hot. Strain the milk into a bowl.
2. Whisk the yolks in another bowl until thickened. Whisk in the hot cream. Strain the cream mixture back into the saucepan.
3. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the custard coats the back of a spoon. Do not boil. Pour into eight dessert dishes and sift five-spice powder on top, if desired. Serve warm.
© 2008 Dorling Kindersley