- Course: Side Dish, Vegetable
- Total Time: Under 30 Minutes
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 10 Times
Can be made ahead of time.
This is an every-season side dish at Gigi Trattoria. We also use this as the base for our broccoli rabe pesto, to fill stuffed pasta, and to top our popular Skizza Rustica.
Bring 3 quarts of water to a boil and season it generously with kosher salt. While the water is heating, fill a large bowl with ice and water.
Cook the broccoli rabe in the boiling water for about 5 minutes, until tender. Drain, and transfer it to the bowl of ice water to stop the cooking and keep the color bright. Drain, and pat dry. (The broccoli rabe can be cooked to this point up to 2 days in advance. Store it in a plastic storage bag in the refrigerator.)
Heat the olive oil in a large heavy skillet over moderately high heat. Add the garlic and jalapeño or red pepper flakes, and sauté, stirring, until fragrant, 30 to 45 seconds. When the garlic is just beginning to brown, add the broccoli rabe and sauté, tossing or turning it with tongs, until tender, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve with the lemon wedges alongside.
• Add 2 or 3 anchovy fillets when sautéing the garlic. Mash them into a puree with the back of a wooden spoon.
• Top with toasted chopped or sliced almonds or toasted pine nuts or shavings of Parmesan.
• Puree the broccoli rabe with olive oil, Parmesan, pine nuts, salt, and pepper to make a broccoli rabe pesto. Serve it tossed with pasta, spread on a sandwich, or stirred into a dip.
Try the broccoli rabe with a drizzle of olive oil, topped with shaved or grated Parmesan, with grilled sausages or over polenta.
• Enjoy warmed or at room temperature.
• Chop and stir into risotto or pasta.
• Add to an omelet, frittata, or soup.
Broccoli rabe contains flavenoids, sulforaphane, and indoles, all disease fighters. It is also rich in vitamins A and C.
This recipe serves 6 and includes 1/8 teaspoon of added salt per serving, but does not include additional olive oil for drizzling.