- 4 large potatoes, peeled and cut in half
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) soy margarine
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (about 4 tsp/20 ml)
- 1 cup (250 ml) vanilla-flavor or plain soy milk
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. In a large pot, combine potatoes with cold water to cover, then bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes or until potatoes are easily pierced with a fork. Drain and return to pot.
2. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt margarine over low heat until bubbling. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 to 60 seconds or until fragrant but not browned. Add soy milk. Increase heat to medium and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let steep while mashing potatoes.
3. Using a potato masher, mash potatoes. (If you prefer a smoother texture, put the potatoes through a ricer.) Add soy milk mixture, stirring constantly until desired consistency is achieved. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Mix well.
Variation: Add 2 tbsp (25 ml) finely chopped fresh chives or garlic chives along with the soy milk. Serve with vegan sour cream alternative on the side.
Nutritional information is based on 5 servings and 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving.