- Course: Main Course
- Total Time: Under 1 Hour
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 37 Times
This comforting rice dish is not only pretty, but nutritiously chockfull of vegetables and other good things.
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) olive oil
- 1 sweet red pepper, cut in strips
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1½ cups (375 mL) Arborio or other short-grain rice
- 3 cups (750 mL) chicken or vegetable stock
- ¾ tsp (4 mL) salt
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) saffron threads, crushed
- 1 lb (500 g) asparagus
- ½ cup (125 mL) sliced unblanched almonds
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, cut in wedges
1. In large deep skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; cook red pepper, onion and garlic for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add tomatoes; cook for about 3 minutes, stirring constantly, until thickened and most of the liquid has evaporated. Remove from heat.
2. Stir in rice to coat. Stir in stock, salt and saffron. Return skillet to heat; bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer, covered, for 15 minutes or until rice is almost tender.
3. Cut each asparagus spear into thirds crosswise; arrange over rice. Cook, covered, for 5 to 8 minutes or until rice and asparagus are tender and liquid is absorbed. With fork, stir in almonds. Serve garnished with eggs and sprinkled with pepper to taste.
© 2002 Rose Murray
Nutritional information is based on 6 servings.
Discover Related Recipes
Sign up for
The Cookstr Weekly
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox