Gala Meat Loaf with Spinach
This meat loaf is gala because it tastes so good and looks attractive, with the green spinach splashes throughout. It is a quick microwave dish. I serve it with Olive Oil Mashed Potatoes and Red Pepper Purée. Leftovers are good cold and make great sandwiches.
Serves6 as a main course
Total Timeunder 1 hour
Recipe Coursemain course
Dietary Considerationmain course
Equipmentfood processor, microwave
Taste and Texturemeaty, savory, umami
- 1 pound fresh spinach, stemmed and washed (6 loosely packed cups), or two 10-ounce boxes frozen spinach, defrosted in a sieve under warm running water
- 1 medium onion (about 6 ounces), peeled and quartered
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed and peeled
- 1½ cups Dried Bread Crumbs
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce, preferably tamari
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1½ pounds lean ground beef, preferably top round
If using fresh spinach, place it in a 10-inch quiche dish or pie plate. Cook in microwave, uncovered, at 100% for 5 minutes 30 seconds. Remove from the oven and let stand until cool.
Coarsely chop the spinach in a food processor, squeeze the excess moisture from the spinach. Transfer to a mixing bowl and reserve.
Finely chop the onion and garlic in the food processor. Add to the spinach. Add the bread crumbs, soy, pepper and ground beef and mix well.
Transfer the mixture to a 9 × 5 × 3-inch glass loaf pan, making sure there are no air pockets. Cook, uncovered, at 100% for 14 minutes.
Remove from the oven. Let stand, covered with a kitchen towel, for 10 minutes before serving.
2005 Barbara Kafka