- Course: Main Course
- Total Time: Under 15 Minutes
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 5 Times
As you can see from the picture in the photo insert, this is quite a festive dish. Wild rice, dense in flavor and texture, makes an ideal foil for juicy, sweet chunks of apple and orange—and cooked turkey, of course.
- 1¼ cups instant wild rice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 2¼ cups diced, cooked roast turkey
- 2 navel oranges, peeled, halved horizontally, and separated into segments
- 1 unpeeled Granny Smith apple, cored and diced
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup hazelnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2/3 cup orange juice
Combine the rice, ¼ cups of water and the salt in a heavy 2-quart Dutch oven. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover and reduce the heat so that the water simmers. Cook for 5 minutes. Stir well. Turn off the heat and let sit for 5 minutes.
While the rice is cooking, combine the turkey, oranges, apple, cranberries, and hazelnuts in a serving bowl.
In a small bowl, blend the mayonnaise and orange juice.
When the rice is done, drain off any unabsorbed liquid and toss it into the salad. Stir in the dressing and add salt to taste, if needed.
• Use chicken or ham instead of turkey.
• Add 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill, or 2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon, or ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro.
• Substitute 2 chopped pears for the apple.
© 2009 Lorna Sass
Note from Cookstr's Editors
Nutritional information is based on 4 servings.