- Course: Appetizer
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 6 Times
Escarola A L’All Cremat
Vegetables or fish dressed with warm garlicky olive oil and topped with garlic chips can be found in many regions of Spain, from Andalusia to the Basque Country to Catalonia. The Catalans call these ”burnt” garlic dishes, and they cook the garlic to a deep brown. This robust bistro-style salad was inspired by one served at Cal Pep, a lunch counter dearly loved by everyone in Barcelona. The proprietor, “Pep” Manubens, suggests including anything from sausage, to cold cuts such as jamón, to good-quality canned tuna in the salad. It’s also delicious with leftover roast chicken or turkey.
- 5 tablespoons fragrant extra virgin olive oil
- 6 ounces sweet Spanish-style chorizo sausage, sliced
- 7 to 8 medium-size garlic cloves, thickly sliced
- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar, preferably aged
- Coarse salt (kosher or sea) and freshly ground black pepper
- 7 to 8 cups frisée (curly endive), rinsed, dried, and torn into bite-size pieces
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a medium-size skillet over medium heat. Add the chorizo and cook until warmed through but not browned, about 1 minute per side. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the chorizo to a plate lined with a paper towel.
2. heat the remaining 4 tablespoons olive oil in a small skillet over low heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until deep-brown but not burnt, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat and, using a slotted spoon, transfer the garlic to another plate lined with a paper towel. Stir the vinegar into the skillet (stand back, as the oil might splatter) and season the dressing with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Place the frisée and chorizo in a mixing bowl and lightly season them with salt and pepper. Add the dressing, toss to coat evenly, and transfer the salad to a large serving platter. Scatter the garlic over the salad and serve at once.
© 2005 Anya von Bremzen
Note from Cookstr's Editors
Nutritional information is based on 5 servings and includes 1/2 teaspoon of added salt.