- Course: Hot Appetizer, Vegetable
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 24 Times
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil or rendered chicken fat (schmaltz), for deep-frying
- 1 cup panko
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 half-sour or dill pickles, quartered lengthwise
In a small bowl, mix the mayonnaise with the garlic and cayenne and season with salt and black pepper.
In a medium saucepan, heat 1 1/2 inches of oil to 350°. In a food processor, pulse the panko until finely ground. Transfer the panko, beaten eggs and flour to 3 shallow bowls.
Dust the pickle spears in the flour and tap off the excess, then dip them in the beaten egg, letting any excess drip off. Dredge the pickles in the panko to coat thoroughly.
Fry the pickles in 2 batches until golden, about 4 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Serve hot, with the spicy mayonnaise.
© 2013 Zakary Pelaccio
Note from Cookstr's Editors
Nutritional information is based on using vegetable oil for frying and includes 1/8 teaspoon of added salt per serving.