- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 medium shallot, finely chopped (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 medium tomatoes, sliced (½ inch thick)
- 1/3 cup pitted kalamata olives
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Vegetable peeler (to peel ginger)
To make the vinaigrette, combine the first 6 ingredients in a bowl and whisk. While continuing to whisk, gradually add oil in a thin stream. It should be slightly thick. Season the vinaigrette to taste with salt and pepper. The vinaigrette may be made ahead and refrigerated.
Arrange tomatoes on either a large platter to pass or on individual salad plates. Sprinkle with olives and feta cheese. Drizzle with desired amount of dressing. Cover and refrigerate remaining vinaigrette. The vinaigrette may be stored for up to a month and used on a variety of salads.
Variation: Substitute cooked and crumbled bacon in place of olives for a different flavor.
This recipe serves 4. Nutritional information is based on using half of the dressing and 1/2 teaspoon of added salt.