When pickle relish out of a jar is just not special enough, this pineapple relish, made from sweet, juicy fresh pineapple, is easy to cook up. It’s colorful and crunchingly delicious served along with baked ham, fried chicken, and thick, juicy burgers. I also love a dollop on a tuna sandwich.
- 4 cups diced (½ inch) fresh ripe pineapple (about 1 medium pineapple)
- 2 onions, cut into ¼-inch dice
- 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and cut into ¼-inch dice
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons finely minced fresh ginger
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1 small dried red chile pepper, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup (packed) light brown sugar
- ½ cup cider vinegar
1. Place all of the ingredients in a heavy saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
2. Let the relish cool to room temperature, and then refrigerate it, covered, until ready to use. Serve at room temperature with pork, fish, or poultry.