- Course: Dessert
- Total Time: Under 2 Hours
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 6 Times
Can be made ahead of time.
Use a variety of fresh figs for this pudding-like dessert. The mixture of flavors sizes, and colors pleasing to the palate and to the eye.
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Generously butter a 10-inch pie plate or other round shallow baking dish. Sprinkle evenly with 1 tablespoon of the sugar.
2. Whisk the milk, cream, eggs, and vanilla together in a large measuring cup or a bowl with a pouring spout until blended. Sift the flour, ¼ cup sugar, and the salt into a separate large bowl. Gradually whisk the milk mixture into the flour mixture until fairly smooth. Pour the batter through a strainer into the prepared pie plate, pressing down on any lumps of flour in the strainer to dissolve them.
3. Arrange the figs, cut side up, on top of the batter. Dot the surface with the pieces of butter.
4. Bake until the edges are puffed and golden and the clafouti is cooked in the center, 50 to 55 minutes. Transfer the dish to a wire rack, and sprinkle the top evenly with the remaining 1 tablespoon sugar while it’s still warm. Serve warm or at room temperature, spooned onto serving plates.
This recipe serves 8.
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox