- Course: Dessert
- Total Time: Under 2 Hours
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 3 Times
Can be made ahead of time.
The essence of vanilla will fill your home with sweet smells. This is a staple in a pastry kitchen.
1. In a heavy saucepan, bring 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) of the milk and vanilla to a boil over medium heat.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together sugar and cornstarch. Set aside.
3. In another bowl, whisk together remaining milk and eggs. Gradually pour into sugar mixture, whisking until blended. Gradually pour egg mixture into saucepan, whisking until blended. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until it thickens and coats the back of a spoon, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl, cover surface directly with plastic wrap and let cool completely.
4. To store: Pour hot pastry cream onto a rimmed baking sheet (to cool faster), place pastil wrap directly on the surface and let cool to room temperature. Transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Whole (homogenized) milk is essential for this recipe. Lower-fat milk will not give the desired smooth, velvety texture and is likely to curdle.
Nutritional information is based on 12 servings.