- Course: Dessert
- Total Time: Under 2 Hours
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 1 Time
There are at least a dozen versions of hot steamed chocolate pudding in Germany; this is one of the best and richest.
- ¼ pound plus 1 tablespoon butter
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 5 egg yolks
- 3 ounces melted semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 tablespoon rum, or 2 tablespoons strongly brewed black coffee
- ½ cups grated, unblanched almonds
- 3 tablespoons white bread, pumpernickel or zwieback crumbs
- 5 egg whites stiffly beaten
- Butter, for the mold
- Sugar, for the mold
Cream butter with sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in one egg yolk at a time until thoroughly blended. Stir in melted chocolate along with rum or coffee; add almonds and crumbs. Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites gently but thoroughly, using a rubber spatula. Butter a melon mold and sprinkle inside with sugar, tapping out excess. Turn filling into mold, which should be about two-thirds full. Cover and set in water bath that comes two-thirds up the sides of the mold. Steam 1 to 1½ hours, or until pudding is completely set, and let stand for a few minutes after it is done. Uncover and invert onto serving platter.
© 1965, 1993 Mimi Sheraton
Nutritional information is based on 1 added tablespoon butter and 1 added tablespoon sugar.
Discover Related Recipes
Sign up for
The Cookstr Weekly
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox