- Course: Main Course
- Total Time: Under 1 Hour
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 34 Times
Buy a thick focaccia at your bakery and use it to make these Italian-style vegetarian sandwiches.
- 2 orange or yellow bell peppers, or 1 of each
- 1 large focaccia, preferably with garlic and rosemary
- 4 tbsp sun-dried tomato paste
- 8 ripe tomatoes, halved
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 oz (225g) fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
- About 16 large basil leaves
1. Preheat the broiler. Line the broiler pan with aluminum foil. Grill the peppers, turning occasionally, until their skins are blackened and blistered. Leave the broiler on.
2. Wrap the foil around the peppers, folding over the edges to make a tightly sealed parcel. Let cool.
3. Slice the focaccia in half vertically with a long serrated knife. Cut the focaccia into quarters. Toast in the broiler on both sides. Spread the cut sides with the sun-dried tomato paste.
4. Line the broiler pan again with foil. Place the tomatoes on the pan, cut sides up, and drizzle with the olive oil. Season with the salt and pepper. Broil for about 5 minutes, or until the tomatoes have softened but are not falling apart.
5. Meanwhile, peel and seed the peppers, and cut the flesh into thick strips. Arrange the tomato halves and pepper slices on the focaccia bottoms. Top with the mozzarella and a few basil leaves, whole or torn, and drizzle over any oil and juices from the broiler pan. Place the remaining focaccia halves on top and serve immediately.
Time saver: If you are short on time, use roasted peppers from the delicatessen instead of grilling your own.
© 2008 Dorling Kindersley
Note from Cookstr's Editors
Nutritional information is based on 1/8 teaspoon salt per serving.
Discover Related Recipes
Sign up for
The Cookstr Weekly
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox