- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 1 Time
Use only white-fleshed saltwater fish for this stock.
- 3 lb/1-5 kg fish carcasses or fish bones, with bits of meat and skin attached
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, coarsely chopped
- 1 leek, white part only, coarsely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ½ bottle/375 ml dry white wine
- 10 white peppercorns
Put all the ingredients into a large pot and add enough cold water to cover completely. Cover the pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Uncover the pot, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 30 minutes, skimming any foam that forms on the surface as needed.
Strain the stock, discarding the solids. Rinse out the pot, then return the stock to it and simmer for about 15 minutes longer. Cool to room temperature: then refrigerate or freeze in several containers.
© 2009 Colman Andrews
Note from Cookstr's Editors
Nutritional information is based on 8 servings.
Discover Related Recipes
Sign up for
The Cookstr Weekly
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox