Fish in Curried Coconut Sauce
This sauce can be made ahead and frozen. When ready to use, warm on the stove and then add the fish.
Total Timeunder 30 minutes
One Pot MealYes
OccasionCasual Dinner Party
Recipe Coursemain course
Dietary Considerationmain course
Taste and Texturejuicy, savory, spiced
- 1½ teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
- One 14½-ounce can whole tomatoes, with juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons shredded sweetened coconut
- 1 to 1 1/3 pounds thick fish fillets, cut into 1-inch pieces
1) Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet. Sauté the onions and garlic over medium heat until the onions soften and turn golden, about 5 minutes. Keep covered between stirrings. Stir in the curry powder and cook 1 minute. Add the ginger and juice from the tomatoes. Break up the tomatoes in your hands as you add them to the pot. Stir in the lemon juice, salt, pepper, and coconut. Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook for 5 minutes.
2) Stir in the fish and cook at a gentle simmer for 5 to 7 minutes, until the fish is cooked through. Serve with rice.
1997 Terry Blonder Golson