- Course: Main Course
- Total Time: Under 1 Hour
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 3 Times
Some stores carry this deeply smoked fish for a quick supper.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter, plus more for the dish
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 oz (85g) sliced pancetta or bacon, chopped
- 1 lb (450g) spinach leaves, washed
- ½ cup créme fraîche or heavy cream
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1¾ lb (800g) finnan haddie, skinned
- Juice of ½ lemon
- ½ cup fresh bread crumbs
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Butter an ovenproof serving dish. Melt the oil and butter together in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and pancetta and cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
2. In batches, stir in the spinach and cook until wilted. Stir in the créme fraîche and 6 tbsp of the Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper and simmer until it has thickened slightly.
3. Spoon the spinach mixture into the dish. Place the finnan haddie on top. Sprinkle with lemon juice. Mix the bread crumbs and remaining 2 tbsp Parmesan and sprinkle over the fish. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the fish is piping hot.
© 2008 Dorling Kindersley
Nutritional information is based on 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving.
Discover Related Recipes
Sign up for
The Cookstr Weekly
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox