- Course: Main Course
- Total Time: Under 30 Minutes
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 1 Time
Pesto is traditionally linked to basil; but being thoroughly modern, we can take a few liberties. In this dish, the sunbelt tastes of the pesto come from fresh coriander, lime juice and hot chilies. It’s a concoction perfected by one of my own food gurus, Amnon Medad — absolutely the best home cook known to me. He uses it on pizza, with grilled vegetables, with pasta and also as here, with fish. It’ll open a new dimension to your notions of filet of sole, adding some zest to the tired, bland taste that so often characterizes “fresh” sole — which, as often as not, means “freshly defrosted” — on this side of the Atlantic.
For the Pesto:
- 1 cup (250 mL) packed roughly chopped coriander
- ½ cup (125 mL) grated strong Italian cheese, such as Asiago, Crotonese or aged Provolone (about 2 oz [50 g])
- ¼ cup (50 mL) pine nuts
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) lime juice
- 1 to 2 tbsp (15 to 25 mL) minced fresh hot chilies or ¼ to ½ tsp (1 to 2 mL) cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup (50 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp (5 mL) olive oil
- 1 lb (500 g) filet of sole (about 4 fillets)
- 8 thin strips red bell pepper
- Steamed rice as an accompaniment
- Baking sheet
Preheat oven to 425° F (220 °C)
1. Make the pesto: In a food processor combine coriander, cheese, pine nuts, lime juice, chilies, salt and pepper; process until finely chopped. With machine running, add ¼ cup (50 mL) olive oil through the feed tube; continue to process until smooth, scraping down sides of bowl once. You should have about 1 cup (250 mL) of a bright green, dense paste. Divide in half. Store one half for another use, tightly covered, in refrigerator for up to 3 days. Set other half aside.
2. Brush the underneath (darker side) of the fillets with a little oil. Lay on baking sheet, oiled side down. Spread about 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the pesto on each filet covering the entire surface. Bake for 6 minutes, without turning. Remove from oven and divide fillets between 4 warmed plates. Heap 1 tbsp (15 mL) pesto on the middle of each fillet. Decorate with 2 red pepper strips making an “x” on each fillet. Serve immediately, accompanied by rice and, if desired, a vegetable of your choice.
© 1998 Byron Ayanoglu and Algis Kemezy
Note from Cookstr's Editors
Nutritional information does not include steamed rice.
Discover Related Recipes
Sign up for
The Cookstr Weekly
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox