- Course: Main Course
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Splurge
- Favorited: 117 Times
The 50 percent of Americans who think filet mignon is the best way to say “I love you” will fall in love with this Filet Mignon with Herb-Butter Sauce and Mushrooms. The pairing of the filet mignon, beef’s most tender steak, and flavorful herb butter and mushrooms make this special meal the perfect way to capture a moment in time in a way that only beef can.
- 4 beef tenderloin steaks (filet mignon), cut 1 inch thick (about 6 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 ½ cups assorted mushrooms (shiitake, enoki, straw, cremini, button, or chanterelle), whole or cut in half if large
- ¼ cup minced shallots
- 1 ½ cups beef broth
- ½ teaspoon chopped fresh thyme or ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
1. Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Place beef steaks in skillet; cook 10 to 13 minutes for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning occasionally. Remove to platter, season with salt and pepper, as desired. Keep warm.
2. Heat butter in same skillet over medium heat until melted. Add mushrooms and shallots; cook and stir 3 to 5 minutes or until mushrooms are tender and browned. Add beef broth and thyme to skillet, stirring until browned bits attached to bottom of pan are dissolved; bring to a boil. Combine cornstarch with water in a small bowl; stir into mushroom mixture. Cook 2 minutes or until sauce thickens, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper, as desired.
3. Serve steak with sauce.
Filet mignon is another common name for beef tenderloin steaks.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, selenium, zinc, and choline; and a good source of iron.
© 2006 American Dietetic Association and National Cattlemen's Beef Association
Nutrition information per serving: 282 calories; 13 g fat (6 g saturated fat; 5 g monounsaturated fat); 97 mg cholesterol; 365 mg sodium; 5 g carbohydrate; 0.4 g fiber; 35 g protein; 11.4 mg niacin; 0.8 mg vitamin B6; 2.0 mcg vitamin B12; 2.6 mg iron; 44.4 mcg selenium; 6.4 mg zinc; 136.9 mg choline.