- Course: Main Course
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 148 Times
An unsurpassable dish made with good-quality ingredients.
- 1 lb 5 oz (600g) fresh fettuccine, or 1 lb (450g) dried
- 8 tbsp butter, cubed
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan, plus more for serving
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Bring a large saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the fettuccine and cook according to the package instructions, just until al dente.
2. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large saucepan over low heat. Add the cream and heat until steaming. Drain the fettuccine well, and add to the hot cream mixture. Add the Parmesan and toss well to coat. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Divide the pasta among warmed plates. Serve at once, with more grated Parmesan passed on the side, or shave curls from a chunk of Parmesan over each serving.
Pasta with Parmesan: For a lighter version of this dish, omit the butter and cream. Toss the hot pasta and Parmesan with ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil. Season with pepper.
© 2008 Dorling Kindersley
Nutritional information is based on 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving.