Spanish habas con jamòn is a popular snack dish of soft beans and chewy, salty cured ham
- 2 lb 2oz (900g) fresh fava beans, removed from their pods
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 7 oz (200g) Serrano ham or prosciutto, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
1. In a saucepan of lightly salted, boiling water, cook the beans until the skins loosen, about 2 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold running water. Slip off the skins.
2. Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, about 4 minutes, or until translucent. Add the ham and garlic, increase the heat to medium-high, and cook for about 2 minutes more, or until the ham begins to brown.
3. Add the beans and the wine. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the wine is almost completely reduced, about 8 minutes. Stir in the stock and simmer over medium-low heat for about 10 minutes, until the stock is reduced by half. Serve hot.
Nutritional information is based on 6 servings.