Fava Bean Salad with Pecorino and Asparagus
I had something similar to this in a very good Italian restaurant in New York. It is a simple pleasure, perfect with a little sea salt and a rich musky dollop of olive oil.
Total Timeunder 30 minutes
OccasionCasual Dinner Party
Recipe Courseappetizer, side dish
Dietary Considerationappetizer, side dish
Five Ingredients or LessYes
Taste and Texturecheesy, herby, savory
- 1 cup of baby asparagus tips
- 1 cup of cooked fresh or frozen baby Fava (broad) beans, skins removed (If fresh, they will need to be blanched to remove the skins. You can also use the same amount of drained and rinsed canned beans.)
- A small handful of fresh mint, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons of good-quality olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- ½ cup of pecorino cheese, shaved
Put the asparagus in a pan of boiling salted water and boil for 2-3 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water.
Place the beans and asparagus tips in a small salad bowl and add the mint. Pour on the olive oil and add some salt and pepper. Add the cheese. Eat in a balmy garden with a few fat blowsy bumblebees nearby, but not close enough to harass you.
2009 Sophie Dahl