- Course: Side Dish
- Total Time: Under 1 Hour
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 29 Times
Fresh picked autumn apples are especially good in these muffins. But you can enjoy them any time by substituting whatever fruit is in season. Any type of chopped nuts may be used in place of the walnuts as well.
For the Streusel:
- 4 tablespoons unbleached all purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons natural sugar
- 4 tablespoons old fashioned oatmeal
- 4 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Pinch ground cinnamon
For the Muffins:
- 1 cup soy milk
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup natural sugar, or more for a sweeter version
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Dash ground cinnamon, optional
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 large apple, chopped (1 cup)
1. For the Streusel: Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl. Mix until moist and crumbly and set aside.
2. For the Muffins: Preheat the oven to 450ºF. Line a muffin tin with 12 paper cupcake liners. Set aside.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together the soy milk and vinegar and set aside. It will curdle slightly, so whisk it a couple of times, including just before using.
4. In a large bowl, whisk together both flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and optional ground spice. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the canola oil and the soy milk mixture. Using a fork, stir together the ingredients until combined. Gently fold in the fruit. Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups. Divide streusel evenly among muffins, sprinkling it on top, and pressing gently.
5. Bake the muffins for 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted into the center of one comes out clean. Remove the pan from the oven to a wire rack until the muffins are cool enough to handle. Carefully remove the muffins in their liners from the tin. Serve slightly warm or at room temperature. Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
© 2011 Betsy DiJulio
Note from Cookstr's Editors
Nutritional information is based on a serving size of 1 muffin.
Discover Related Recipes
Sign up for
The Cookstr Weekly
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox