Traditionally, a Greek salad is a mix of tomatoes, olives, cucumbers, onions, and feta cheese—but no lettuce. Of course, at our Farm Stand’s Organic Kitchen, we just can’t resist adding crisp hearts of romaine lettuce to our Greek salad. We also dress it up with strips of roasted red peppers or Roasted Balsamic Artichoke Bottoms.
- 3 romaine hearts
- 1 small regular cucumber, peeled, seeded, and cut into ½-inch dice
- ½ small red onion, very thinly sliced
- 15 cherry tomatoes, cut in half, or 2 large tomatoes, cut into ½-inch dice
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed
- 30 kalamata olives, pitted
- About 1/3 cup Classic Red Wine Vinaigrette
- 3 ounces feta cheese, grated or crumbled (about 2/3 cup)
- 1 red bell pepper, roasted and cut into 1-inch strips, for garnish
1. Remove the cores from the romaine hearts. Carefully rinse the leaves under gently running cold water, drain them well, and spin them dry. Cut the leaves crosswise into 1-inch strips.
2. Just before you plan to serve the salad, place the romaine in a large salad bowl. Add the cucumber, onion, tomatoes, capers, and olives and toss to combine. Add about one-half of the vinaigrette. Toss to lightly coat the leaves, then taste them to see if more vinaigrette is needed.
3. Transfer the salad to a platter or individual salad plates. Sprinkle the feta cheese on top and garnish with some of the bell pepper strips. Serve immediately.
Nutritional information does not include Classic Red Wine Vinaigrette. For nutritional information on Classic Red Wine Vinaigrette, please follow the link above.