- Course: Hot Appetizer, Main Course
- Total Time: A Day Or More
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 97 Times
These chickpea fritters can be enjoyed tucked into pita bread.
- 1 heaping cup dried chickpeas, soaked overnight in cold water
- 2 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
1. Drain the soaked chickpeas. Process the chickpeas with the other ingredients until finely chopped but not purèed.
2. Transfer to a bowl. Let stand for at least 30 minutes (or up to 8 hours), covered in the refrigerator.
3. Pour enough oil into a large saucepan to come 2in (5cm) up the sides and heat over high heat to 350°F (170°C).
4. Moisten your hands with water and shape the mixture into 12 slightly flat balls. In batches, deep-fry in the oil about 3 minutes, or until golden. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Serve hot.
© 2008 Dorling Kindersley
Nutritional information is based on 12 servings and 2 cups added oil for frying.
Discover Related Recipes
Sign up for
The Cookstr Weekly
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox