Here’s an essential potato salad recipe that’s a great addition to many types of meals—including picnics. The basic recipe will appeal to a wide range of tastes; to make it more interesting, stir in any combination of the optional additions you wish to add, or arrange them in small bowls and let everyone add his or her own.
- 5 medium-large red-skinned or Yukon Gold potatoes
- ½ cup soy mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons prepared yellow mustard
- 1 large celery stalk, finely diced
- 1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- ½ medium red bell pepper, finely diced
- Crumbled feta or goat cheese
- 1 to 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- Toasted sunflower seeds, to taste
- Minced fresh dill, to taste
- Chopped fresh parsley, to taste
1. Microwave the potatoes on high in their skins until done but still firm. Allow 2 to 3 minutes per potato, test for doneness, then add a little more time as needed. When cool enough to handle, peel the potatoes and cut into ½ - to ¾-inch chunks. Place them in a serving container.
2. Combine the mayonnaise and mustard in a small bowl and stir together. Add to the potatoes, along with the celery and peas; mix well. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Add any of the optional ingredients you’d like; mix well. Cover and refrigerate until needed or serve at once.
Nutritional information is provided by the author.
For basic salad, without additions
Total fat: 4 g
Protein: 4 g
Fiber: 3.8 g
Carbohydrates: 31 g
Cholesterol: 0 g
Sodium: 186 mg