- Course: Appetizer, Main Course
- Total Time: Under 1 Hour
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 7 Times
Fresh herbs and grilled seafood make a delicious warm salad.
- 2¼ lb (1kg) small calamari, cleaned
For the marinade:
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp chopped mint
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp sweet paprika
- ¼ cup olive oil
For the Salad:
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp chopped dill
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 oz (85g) mâche or watercress sprigs
- 12 mint sprigs
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
1. To prepare the calamari, cut off the tentacles. Cut the body in half lengthwise and score the flesh in diagonal cuts to form a diamond pattern. Cut the tentacles into bite-sized pieces. Place in a bowl.
2. To make the marinade, mix together the parsley, mint, garlic, coriander, cumin, and paprika, adding the oil gradually to make a paste. Add the mixture to the calamari and stir to coat evenly. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
3. Preheat the broiler. Line the broiler pan with foil. Arrange the calamari on the broiler pan and broil for 4-5 minutes, turning once, until just opaque. Season lightly with salt and pepper and sprinkle with 1 tbsp of the lime juice.
4. Meanwhile, shake the oil, dill, and remaining 1 tbsp lime juice in a small jar, season with salt and pepper, then shake again. Combine the mâche, mint, and onion on a platter and toss with the dressing. Top with the grilled calamari and serve immediately.
© 2008 Dorling Kindersley
Nutritional information is based on 6 servings and on 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving.
Discover Related Recipes
Sign up for
The Cookstr Weekly
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox