- Course: Appetizer, Side Dish
- Total Time: Under 30 Minutes
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 25 Times
(Escarole Salad with Tomato and Cumin Dressing)
The moorish influence on this Andalucian salad is noted in its name (any word beginning with “al” is of Arab origin) and in the use of cumin in the dressing, which lends a distinctive and very pleasant flavor to the salad.
- 2 ripe tomatoes, skinned and chopped
- ½ teaspoon crushed or ground cumin
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 escarole, cut in pieces
- Cured black olives and hard-boiled egg slices or wedges for garnish
In a blender or processor beat the tomato, cumin, garlic, paprika, and 2 tablespoons of the oil. Blend until smooth. Gradually pour in the remaining 4 tablespoons of oil, the vinegar, salt, and pepper.
Arrange the escarole on individual salad plates. Spoon on the dressing and decorate with the olives and eggs.
© 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982 Penelope Casas
Nutritional information is based on 6 servings and on 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving. Nutritional information does not include Garnishes.