- Course: Side Dish
- Total Time: Under 2 Hours
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 21 Times
Can be made ahead of time.
Homemade English muffins are a real treat
1. Mix the flour, yeast, and salt in a bowl. Make a well in the center, and pour in the water and butter. Stir to make a slightly sticky dough.
2. Knead the dough on a floured work surface for about 8 minutes, until smooth and elastic. Shape into a ball, place in an oiled bowl, and turn to coat. Cover with plastic wrap. Let stand for 1 hour in a warm place until doubled.
3. Line a baking sheet with a kitchen towel and sprinkle with most of the semolina. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead. Divide into 10 balls. Place the balls on the towel and press into thick disks. Sprinkle with the rest of the semolina. Cover with another towel. Leave for 20–30 minutes, until risen.
4. Heat a frying pan with a lid. In batches, place the muffins in the pan and cover. Reduce heat to low and cook for 10–12 minutes, until they puff up. Flip and cook for 3–4 minutes, until golden.