- Course: Antipasto/Mezze, Hors D'oeuvre, Tapas/Small Plates
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 7 Times
Can be made ahead of time.
Because this is a country-style salad, lively and unrefined, the ingredients should be chopped into small chunks and pieces, not minced.
1. Preheat the oven to 450°F.
2. Prick the eggplant once with a knife. Place it on a baking sheet in the oven and roast until the skin is wrinkled and the eggplant has collapsed, about 50 minutes. Remove and set aside until cool enough to handle.
3. Slit the eggplant open lengthwise and scrape the pulp from the skin. Coarsely chop the pulp and transfer it to a large bowl.
4. Coarsely chop the onion, garlic, and tomato. Add to the bowl, along with the parsley, mint, oregano, mustard, vinegar, lemon juice, oil, salt, and pepper. Stir to blend. Serve right away, accompanied by the bread, or cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week.
Like so many Greek food mixtures, Eggplant Salad gains in flavor if the ingredients are allowed to sit together overnight.
Nutritional information is based on 8 servings and does not include; bread, pita, or crackers, for serving.