- Course: Main Course
- Total Time: Under 2 Hours
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 135 Times
Can be made ahead of time.
This is one of Italy's most popular dishes and a great choice for vegetarians. Good with a simple salad as a main meal.
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F (160°C). Spread the flour on a plate. Beat the eggs in a shallow bowl and season with salt and pepper. One at a time, dredge each eggplant slice in the flour, shaking off the excess, then dip it in the eggs and let the excess drip back into the bowl. Repeat with the remaining slices.
2. Heat the oil in a large skillet over a medium heat. Working in batches, if necessary, fry the eggplant slices for about 5 minutes on each side, or until golden. Drain well on paper towels.
3. Layer the tomato sauce, eggplant slices, mozzarella, Parmesan, and basil leaves in a shallow casserole dish, seasoning each layer with salt and pepper, and finishing with a layer of tomato sauce and the cheeses.
4. Place the dish on a baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbling and the cheese has melted. Serve hot.
Variation: Zucchini Parmigiana
Substitute 6–8 zucchini, thickly sliced lengthwise, for the eggplants.
Prepare ahead: Steps 1 and 2 can be done a day in advance. Or, the entire dish can be assembled a day in advance and baked just before serving.
Freezing Information: can be assembled in an ovenproof dish and frozen for up to 3 month. Bake as in step 4.
Nutritional information is based on 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving.
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox