- Course: Main Course
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 112 Times
Serve these fragrant noodles with simply roasted chicken or pork.
- 12 oz (350g) fresh Asian-style egg noodles or fresh linguine
- 2 tbsp plus 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Pinch of sugar
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 stalk lemongrass
- 1 in (2.5cm) piece of fresh ginger, peeled and shredded
- 2 tbsp finely chopped chives
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the noodles and cook according to the package directions. Drain, rinse under cold water, and drain again. Toss with 2 tsp of the oil.
2. Mix the soy sauce, lemon juice, and sugar together; set aside. Remove the outer layer of the lemongrass, and cut off the tough top where it meets the tender bottom bulbous end. Cut the tender bulb into very thin slices, then mince finely.
3. Heat the remaining 2 tbsp oil in a wok over high heat. Add the scallions, lemongrass, and ginger and stir-fry for 1 minute or until very fragrant. Add the noodles and cook, tossing often, for 2 minutes. Stir in the soy sauce mixture and continue cooking around 2 minutes or until hot. Add the chives and cilantro and toss well. Serve immediately.
Nutritional Benefits: Low fat.
Lemon and scallion curls: Before juicing the lemon, remove the zest with a vegetable peeler; cut into very fine strips. Trim a scallion, cut into 2in (5cm) lengths and then into fine shreds. Soak the lemon zest and scallion strips in a bowl of iced water for about 1 hour or until they curl into attractive shapes. Drain just before using.
© 2008 Dorling Kindersley