- Course: Cold Appetizer
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 23 Times
This winter salad, pairing the juicy snap of Asian pear and celery, then studded with hazelnuts and laced with dill, gets its inspiration from the classic Waldorf salad. It’s especially nice served alongside a wedge of blue-veined cheese, such as Point Reyes Blue, Maytag Blue, or Bleu d’Auvergne.
- 1½ tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 2 teaspoons whole grain mustard
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup hazelnut oil or extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups thinly sliced celery
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped dill weed
- 1 medium unpeeled Asian pear or Bosc pear, cored and cut into thick matchsticks
- ½ cup coarsely chopped toasted hazelnuts
Whisk together the vinegar, mustard, and salt in a small mixing bowl. Whisk rapidly as you pour in the oil in a slow stream. Just before you serve, toss the celery and dill with the dressing in a large mixing bowl, and then gently toss in the Asian pear and hazelnuts. Mound the salad on individual plates and serve.
© 2005 Jerry Traunfeld