- Course: Appetizer, Main Course
- Total Time: Under 30 Minutes
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 34 Times
Deviled eggs are not thought of as a particularly brilliant appetizer, but I say that’s because most people have never eaten them with New Orleans-style red rémoulade sauce. That combination was a specialty at the historic, lost Creole cafe called Maylie’s. Arnaud’s revived the idea some years ago with its superb rémoulade sauce, and it still holds up. Add some sliced ripe avocado, lettuce, and tomatoes to the plate, and you have a fine little salad. For an extra touch, garnish each serving with a couple of boiled, peeled shrimp.
- 8 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and halved
- 1 Tbsp. chopped yellow onion
- 1 Tbsp. chopped celery
- ½ tsp. small capers
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp. yellow mustard
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 4 dashes of Tabasco
- 4 small ripe but not soft Hass avocados, halved, pitted, and peeled
- 2 large ripe tomatoes (Creoles or beefsteak), cut crosswise into ½-inch-thick slices, then into half-moons
- One 8-10-oz. bag of baby lettuces or spring mix
- ½ cup red rémoulade sauce (see Shrimp Rémoulade with Two Sauces, )
1. Scoop the yolks out into a bowl. Reserve the egg-white halves.
2. Add the onion, celery, capers, mayonnaise, mustard, salt, and Tabasco to the yolks and mix well with a whisk. (You can even beat it to fluffiness.)
3. Load the mixture into a pastry bag and pipe it into the centers of the egg white halves.
4. Cut the avocado halves into ¼-inch-thick slices. Fan out each sliced avocado half on one side of an individual plate, with the slices overlapping. Place an egg half in the avocado’s pit indentation. Put 2 tomato half-moons and another egg half on the other side of the plate. Surround all with lettuce leaves. Drizzle the rémoulade sauce generously over each salad and serve chilled.
© 2006 Tom Fitzmorris
Note from Cookstr's Editors
Nutritional information does not include Shrimp RÃ©moulade with Two Sauces. For nutritional information on Shrimp RÃ©moulade with Two Sauces, please follow the link above.