- Course: Main Course, Side Dish
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 48 Times
- ¼ cup butter or margarine
- ¼ cup sifted flour
- 1 teaspoon powdered mustard
- 2½ cups milk
- 3 cups coarsely grated sharp Cheddar cheese
- ¼ teaspoon salt (about)
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon finely grated yellow onion (optional)
- ½ pound elbow macaroni, cooked and drained by package directions
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Melt butter in saucepan over moderate heat, blend in flour and mustard, slowly stir in milk, and cook, stirring until thickened. Mix in 2 cups grated cheese and all remaining ingredients except macaroni. Taste for salt and add a little more if needed. Cook and stir until cheese melts.
Off heat, mix in macaroni; turn into a buttered 2-quart casserole, sprinkle with remaining cheese, and bake, uncovered, about ½ hour until bubbly and lightly browned.
© 1975, 1985 Doubleday/Bantam Doubleday Dell Publishing, Inc.
Nutritional information is provided by the author.
Per serving: 520 C, 95 mg CR, 600 mg S*