David “the Cookie King” Leiderman says of his cookies: “these are easy to make and absolutely delicious. They develop a butterscotch flavor as they bake and are extremely fragile.”
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1¾ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 8 ounces imported bittersweet chocolate, roughly chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Generously butter a baking sheet.
2. Combine the butter, brown sugar, salt, vanilla, and egg in a large bowl. Using an electric mixer or by hand, beat the ingredients to make a smooth batter. Add the flour and chocolate and stir until no traces of flour remain.
3. Drop the batter by heaping tablespoonfuls on the prepared baking sheet, spacing the cookies 2 inches apart. Bake until the edges of the cookies are barely brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Remove and let cool on a wire rack.
Nutritional information is based on a serving size of 1 cookie.