- Course: Dessert
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 22 Times
I love to make this delicious dessert in the fall when apples and cranberries are in season. This version is a little tart, which suits my taste, but if you have a sweet tooth, add more sugar to the cranberry mixture. Great on its own, this is even better with whipped cream or a scoop of frozen yogurt or vanilla ice cream.
- 4 cups (1 L) sliced, peeled apples
- 2 cups (500 ml) cranberries, thawed if frozen
- ½ cup (125 ml) granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) cornstarch
- ½ tsp (2 ml) ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp (25 ml) freshly squeezed lemon juice or port wine
- ½ cup (125 ml) packed brown sugar
- ½ cup (125 ml) rolled oats
- ¼ cup (50 ml) flaked sweetened coconut
- ¼ cup (50 ml) butter
- Lightly greased slow cooker stoneware
1. In a bowl, combine apples, cranberries, sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and lemon juice or port. Mix well and transfer to prepared stoneware.
2. Coconut Topping: In a separate bowl, combine brown sugar, rolled oats, coconut and butter. Using two forks or your fingers, combine until crumbly. Spread over apple mixture.
3. Place two clean tea towels, each folded in half (so you will have four layers) over top of stoneware. Cover and cook on High for 3 to 4 hours, until crisp is hot and bubbling. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream, if desired.
Variation: Apple-Coconut Crisp
Use 6 cups (1.5 L) of sliced apples, reduce sugar to ¼ cup (50 mL) and use lemon juice rather than port wine.
© 2004 Judith Finlayson
Note from Cookstr's Editors
Nutritional information is based on 8 servings, and uses 1 tablespoon of butter to grease the slow cooker.