- Course: Dessert
- Total Time: Under 1 Hour
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 51 Times
Can be made ahead of time.
My brother-in-law makes a dozen of these every morning in his restaurant.
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F
2. Combine the egg yolks and the condensed milk in a medium bowl. Using a hand-held electric mixer, beat on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
3. With the beaters on, drizzle in the lime juice and continue beating for 2 minutes more. Quickly pour the filling into the graham cracker crust.
4. Bake on the center rack for 22 minutes or until firm. Do not open the oven door while the pie is baking. If the pie is still a bit loose in the center, bake for 3-5 minutes more.
5. While the pie is baking, thoroughly wash and dry the beaters, then, using a hand-held mixer set at a medium speed, beat the cream in a medium bowl until light and frothy.
6. Add the sugar to the cream 2 tablespoons at a time and beat until the sugar is incorporated and the mixture is stiff, about 5 minutes. Refrigerate until ready to use.
7. When the pie is finished baking, cool for at least 1 hour. Then, using a rubber spatula, very gently spread the whipped cream over the top of the pie.
8. Refrigerate the pie until ready to serve.
If Key limes aren’t available, any fresh limes will do. Or use bottled Key lime juice, which is sold in most supermarkets. Check in the produce section or in the frozen foods aisle. The bottle will tell you how much to substitute for fresh juice.
This recipe serves 8.
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox