- Course: Hot Appetizer, Main Course
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 23 Times
Gentle spices perk up this earthy-flavored soup. Good with crusty bread or cheese scones.
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 11 oz (300g) parsnips, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 baking potato, peeled and chopped
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp mild curry powder
- 4½ cups chicken or vegetable stock
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Creme fraiche, for serving
- Chopped parsley, for serving
1. Melt the butter in a saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, until softened. Add the parsnips, carrot, and potato. Sprinkle in the flour and curry powder and stir for 2 minutes.
2. Gradually stir in the stock. Turn up the heat and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low. Cover and simmer gently for 40 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
3. Turn the heat off, uncover, and allow the soup to cool slightly. Purèe the soup into a blender or food processor. Season with salt and pepper. Pour back into the pot and reheat before serving.
4. To serve, ladle into bowls. Top each with a swirl of creme fraiche and a sprinkle of chopped parsley.
© 2008 Dorling Kindersley
Nutritional information is based on 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving and does not include creme fraiche for serving.