Curried Ham Salad
The only trick here is good knife work: everything should be diced into fairly small, uniform bits so that you get lots of flavors in each bite.
You needn’t limit your choice of curry powders, to the standard yellow variety. There are almost as many powders as there are cooks in india. You probably don’t want to dump in a powder that’s basically flavored cayenne (read the label carefully), but you can certainly go well beyond the average by choosing from the astounding array of powders at Indian markets or their online locations.
Makes6 hearty servings, enough for 6 full sandwiches
Total Timeunder 4 hours
Make Ahead RecipeYes
OccasionBuffet, Family Get-together
Recipe Coursemain course
Dietary Considerationgluten-free, lactose-free, peanut free, soy free
Taste and Texturecrunchy, nutty, savory, spiced, sweet, tangy
Type of Dishmain course salad, salad, sandwich
- ¼ pound not-smoked, wet-cured ham, such as prosciutto cotto, diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and diced
- 3 celery stalks, minced
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 1 cup unsalted, roasted cashews, chopped
- ½ cup mayonnaise (regular, low-fat, or fat-free)
- 3 tablespoons mango chutney
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons bottled curry powder
Mix everything in a large bowl, cover, and refrigerate for a couple hours to blend, the flavors, The ham salad can be stored, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
2010 Bruce Weinstein and Mark Scarbrough