Curried Clam Chowder The White Man’s Way
Total Timeunder 1 hour
OccasionCasual Dinner Party
Recipe Coursemain course
Dietary Considerationmain course
Taste and Texturecreamy, savory, spiced
Type of Dishchowder
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 1/2 cups fish stock
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 4 dozen Pacific or East Coast littleneck clams, scrubbed
- Freshly milled black pepper
In a heavy saucepan, melt the butter over moderate heat.
When the foam subsides, remove from the heat.
Whisk in the flour until smooth.
Return to heat and whisk in the curry powder. Add the stock and cook until the mixture thickens.
Add the cream, reduce the heat, and simmer, stirring from time to time, for 15 minutes.
Add the clams and cover until the clams open. Discard any that do not open.
Season with pepper and serve in heated bowls.