- Course: Main Course
- Total Time: Under 30 Minutes
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 12 Times
If you have a panini maker or grilled sandwich maker, this is a good place to use it. Be generous with the meat—make it as if it’s for someone you really love.
- 1 loaf Italian bread (about 24 inches long) or 4 hero rolls
- Sliced leftover Roast Puerto Rican Pork Shoulder
- 3 fairly thick slices boiled ham
- Sliced bread and butter pickles or any other type of pickle you like
- ½ pound fairly thickly sliced Swiss cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Split the bread lengthwise and spread the bottom of the loaf with mayo. Make an even layer of the pork, then add the ham, pickles, and cheese. Top with the other piece of bread and press lightly but firmly.
2. Wrap the sandwich(es) securely in foil and lay between 2 baking sheets. Set on the oven rack and weight the top sheet with a heavy ovenproof skillet. Bake until warmed through and the cheese has softened, about 30 minutes. Serve warm, cut into manageable pieces.
© 2005 Daisy Martinez
Nutritional information is based on using 6 oz of boiled ham, 1 teaspoon of mayonnaise per serving, but does not include Puerto Rican Pork Shoulder. For nutritional information on Puerto Rican Pork Shoulder, please follow the links above.