- Course: Main Course
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 61 Times
In France, these toasted cheese and ham sandwiches are very popular. Good with a green salad and French fries or potato chips.
Makes 4 sandwiches
- 14 oz (400g) Gruyere cheese, grated
- 4 tbsp butter, plus softened butter for spreading
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 8 slices white sandwich bread
- 8 thin slices of ham
1. Cut 4oz (115g) of the cheese into thin slices and shred the rest.
2. Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over low heat. Whisk in the flour and let bubble without browning for 1 minute. Whisk in the milk. Simmer, whisking often, until smooth and thick. Add the shredded cheese and mustard and stir until the cheese is melted.
3. Position a broiler rack 6in (15cm) from the heat and preheat the broiler. Toast the bread slices on 1 side only. Spread the untoasted sides lightly with butter, then top 4 slices with the ham and sliced cheese. Press the remaining 4 bread slices on top, toasted sides up, and spread with the cheese mixture.
4. Broil about 2 minutes until the sauce is bubbling and golden brown. Serve at once.
Croque Madame: To make Croque Madames, top each serving with a fried or poached egg.
Prepare ahead: Steps 1 and 2 can be completed 2 hours ahead.
© 2008 Dorling Kindersley