Crispy Rice Noodles with Beef
A combination of crunchy textures and Asian flavors.
Preparation Time20 min
Preparation Time - Text20 mins
Cooking Time15 min
Cooking Time - Text15
Total Timeunder 1 hour
Recipe Coursemain course
Taste and Texturecrunchy, nutty, savory
- Vegetable oil, as needed
- 5 oz (140g) dried rice vermicelli
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp light brown sugar
- 12 oz (350g) sirloin steak or fillet mignon, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp peeled and shredded fresh ginger
- 12 thin asparagus spears, cut into 1in (2.5cm) lengths
- 6 scallions, white and green parts, cut into 1in (2.5cm) lengths
- ¼ cup chopped cashews
- Asian sesame oil, for serving
Heat 2 in (5cm) oil in a large saucepan over high heat. Break the vermicelli into 7 or 8 portions. In batches, add to the hot oil and cook for a few seconds until they turn white and become crisp. Transfer to paper towels. Keep warm.
Mix the soy sauce, oyster sauce, sugar, and 1 tbsp water. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a wok over high heat, stir-fry the beef for 2 minutes, until browned. Transfer to a plate.
Add 1 tbsp oil, and stir-fry the garlic and ginger for 30 seconds. Add the asparagus and scallions, stir-fry for 2 minutes, then add the sauce and beef to the pan. Stir-fry until the sauce is thick and boiling. Divide the rice vermicelli among 4 plates. Pile the stir-fry on top, top with cashews, drizzle with sesame oil, and serve immediately.
2008 Dorling Kindersley