- Course: Main Course
- Total Time: Under 30 Minutes
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 14 Times
Serve this on toast, baked potatoes or waffles -- it's a good dish.
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 1 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Cayenne pepper
- Freshly milled white pepper
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh horseradish
- 1 pound dried beef, cut into ½-inch slivers
In a heavy saucepan over high heat, bring the milk, cream, bourbon, and mustard to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
In a bowl, cream together the butter and flour. Whisk the paste into the hot mixture and bring to a boil. Fold in the cheese and simmer for 5 minutes. Season with cayenne and white pepper to taste. Fold the horseradish and beef into the cream mixture and heat thoroughly.
© Christopher Idone
Discover Related Recipes
Sign up for
The Cookstr Weekly
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox