Cream cheese icing tastes great on just about everything. It’s a quick mix that can make something go from tasting good to tasting extraordinary.
- 4 oz (125 g) cream cheese, at room temperature
- ½ cup (125 mL) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- Pinch salt
- 2¼ cups (550 mL) confectioners sugar (icing sugar), sifted
1. In a bowl, using an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat together cream cheese, butter and salt until creamy. With mixer on low speed, beat in confectioner’s sugar, ½ cup (125 mL) at a time so that the sugar doesn’t fly all over the place. Increase speed to medium-high and beat until light and fluffy.
2. Spread frosting over cooled cupcakes and refrigerate until ready to serve or for up to 1 day.
Variation: Add a drop of food coloring to the frosting as you are making it for a touch of beautiful color.
Nutritional information is based on 2 tablespoons icing per serving.